4x4 - Home

ExtremeAire Compressor Installation

For those that have visited my site in the past, you may have browsed the ExtremeAire compressor write-up I did when MikeW and I put his ExtremeAire compressor in his TJ.  Mike has had his unit for a couple of years and last I knew, it was still going strong.  Another local friend has used his ExtremeAire for several years and I know for certain he has used the heck out of it.  When I discovered that another friend of mine, DonP, was selling his ExtremeAire (he was upgrading to the new Warn winch/compressor unit), we settled on a price and I stopped by his house to retrieve it once he got it out of his Rubicon. 

There is always a couple of ways to skin a cat, for the most part, so I thought another write-up on this compressor could be  useful.  Aside from the compressor, most everything I was doing was different from MikeW's setup so now you will have a 2nd opinion on how to install the ExtremeAire compressor and interface it into your TJ. 

I visited Extreme Outback's web site to see if I could gather some info on the compressor.  The following specs are from their site: 

- Continuous duty cycle
- 3/4 horsepower motor
- 30-amp draw at 35psi
- 40-amp draw at 150psi
- 4 cfm free flow rate
- 150psi max working pressure
- Can be mounted upside down
- 14" long, 6" wide, 9", tall

I was hoping to find a flow rate with rated pressure as this provides more info as to how well the compressor performs under real world conditions such as airing up a tire to 30 PSI.  I'll post some air-up times once everything is checked out. 

For what it is worth, I called the phone number on the web site and spoke with GeorgeC, a very pleasant gentleman who answered the phone.  I explained to GeorgeC that I was the second owner of this compressor, having just bought it from a friend, and that I was preparing to install it.  My question....."What is the proper gauge wire to use during installation."  Since I didn't have the owner/install manual, I thought this was a legitimate question.  GeorgeC inquired as to my installation and the distance between the compressor and the battery.  After telling him it would be about an 8' run of wire, he informed me that I should stick with 8 gauge wire or even use 6 if I could find it.  George stated that if I was mounting the compressor near the battery, 10 gauge would be sufficient.  He also suggested I install a one-way check valve (more on that later).  I thanked him for his time and he said that if I had any other questions come up during the install, I should give him a call.  Nice guy....good customer service.  Thanks GeorgeC! 



Included with the compressor was the control solenoid that Extreme Outback sells as well as their 100 amp circuit breaker.  Thanks Don for tossing in those extra items!  As the saying goes, the devil is in the details, and so it is with many Jeep projects.  Having the control solenoid and a suitable circuit breaker already in hand made this project that much easier.  I did a quick check of my electrical parts box and noticed I would need a few connectors for the 8 gauge wire.  The rest of the odds and ends were either already installed in the TJ or were sitting on my parts shelf.  On with the installation! 



Since I already had my air tank mounted on the passenger side fender in the rear of the TJ, I opted to put the air compressor on the driver's side fender.  The ExtremeAire has four tabs, or feet, on the mounting bracket.  After looking at the mounting location (it was not completely flat) for a bit and thinking about how we had done MikeW's mounting, I realized that I could bend the mounting tabs a small amount.  By doing do, they would conform to the contoured fender surface without the need for any additional brackets.  I placed the compressor on the work bench and let the tabs (on one side) hang over the edge.  A little gentle persuasion with a hammer was all it took to move them into a suitable position.  Easy enough and no extra hardware needed!



With the ExtremeAire bolted onto the driver's side rear fender, it was time to see what I could do under the good.  I already had a run of 8 gauge wire going to the rear of the TJ (which would need to be extended by a few feet as I later discovered) that started near the factory fuse box.  I got the waterproof circuit breaker from DonP out of the box and cleaned it up a bit.  As you can see, it is rated for 100 amp.  Pushing the red button causes the breaker to trip.  You can reset it by pushing the trip arm back into position.  The terminals on the circuit breaker are clearly marked for the battery and load connections. 



I recycled a mounting hole from some other project and bolted the circuit breaker into position.  The 8 gauge wire was connected to the AUX terminal on the breaker.  I made a 10" long 8 gauge jumper and routed it from the remaining terminal on the breaker to the suck down winch controller for an easy positive terminal battery connection (not shown in this photo).  It was easier than running the cable back to the battery and kept the clutter away from the battery terminals at the same time.

 More  ExtremeAire Install



4x4 Off-Road    Homestead    Firearms    RC Flying